AQA Geography A-level: My Experience

Geography A-level: My Experience


I think its fair to say deciding what you want you want to do in the future is a stressful process, from my own experience I am painfully indecisive. For my A-levels my original choices were biology, sociology and law however, I found myself replacing two of the three for geography and philosophy. Although I haven't completed the course as of yet I  can confirm I made the right choice. 

I was debating if I should call this a review but, especially in the fieldwork section I end up reminiscing and recalling my personal experience. So instead of a review, strap yourself in as I take you on a journey through geography A-level from the perspective of a student.   

The AQA course is set out like this:

Physical geography
  • 1. Water and carbon cycles
  • 2. Hot desert systems and landscapes
  • 3. Coastal systems and landscapes
  • 4. Glacial systems and landscapes
  • 5. Hazards
  • 6. Ecosystems under stress

Human geography

  • 7. Global systems and global governance
  • 8. Changing places
  • 9. Contemporary urban environments
  • 10. Population and the environment
  • 11. Resource security

Geography fieldwork investigation

  • 12. Fieldwork requirements
  • 13. Investigation requirements

In my first year of geography A-level I gravitated towards the physical geography topics of coasts and hazards. 

I really disliked changing places topics,if i'm being brutally honest it was the driest, and most 'wish washy' of all of the topics. I found it difficult to grasp the concept, I could not really make the link between that being - dare I say - actual geography. The topic was the smallest because there was nothing to say, in my opinion its common sense that has just been over complicated. I found a lack of structure in the work and I was overall disinterested. 

Hazards was far more exciting however, the amount of content was huge. There was a lot to cover but the variation kept me interested. The topic felt overwhelming sometimes especially in the amount of case study material but I found it  exciting that I could apply my knowledge to news stories of storms, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes etc. I have always had a fascination for natural hazards. Ever since I could remember I looked out the window for tornadoes (thinking one would magically appear) I even dreamed of volcanic eruptions and tsunamis but I think they were more along the lines of nightmares. Even so, I was captivated.
I was debating whether to write this in the review but it was interesting to learn about human behaviour around natural hazards. Though natural disasters are not funny, it was quite easy to make it that way. I quote from a documentary we watched 'its boxing day and there has been a flood' - in reference to the Indian ocean tsunami of 2004. Quite clearly, it was more than that but the sheer human stupidity made it laughable. 

Coasts, a topic I hold dear to my heart. I will never look at a beach the same again. Every family holiday we go to some sort of coastal location. I always have a sense of excitement now as I point out the beach profile and what it means, the type of erosion of the cliffs and I have great pleasure in discovering the sea defences put in place. My parents get rather annoyed and could not care less but that just encourages me more to hype it up. Coasts is by far the most interesting topic as I could apply the information I learned so easily to everyday life. Though me and coasts haven't always got on, when I was about 6 we were at Charmouth me and my family went camping. They thought it was a great idea to walk along the beach/coastline to get from the campsite to the village. It was quite the disaster. The cliffs on one side the tide coming in on the other we got half way and had to turn around. The coast guards were almost called, I was crying and not to sound too dramatic but we almost all downed. Oh I do love a trip down trauma lane. I am happy to say now I don't have as much as a fear as I used to, but I do still find beaches suspicious.

By far the most interesting part of coasts were coastal landscapes including: sand dunes, salt marshes, fjords, dalmatian coastlines, raised beaches as well as eustatic and isostatic sea level change.

 On the whole, compared to hazards thankfully, i'm more likely to go to a beach than witness a tropical storm or volcanic eruption which did make me like the topic more.  

In my second year of geography A-level I much preferred the human geography, well Global systems and global governance. I cannot express how interesting and exciting I find global governance. Up until I was taught this topic I read the news with no real understanding however, I am constantly bombarded with the effects of globalization as I read about global governing bodies who are always in the news. Even now, as I write this the world health organisation is constantly in the news due to Covid-19. It interests me how complex and difficult it is to get counties to simply just communicate over times of crisis. 

Contemporary urban environments like Hazards feels like a very big topic, probably because it is. I found this topic rather overwhelming but I found gems of subtopics in between. Urban climates and urban drainage were the ones I took most interest in. Again they were easily applicable to everyday life.I mean, who knew how exciting it would be comparing the weather in rural and urban areas using the met office app?  Urbanisation, sub-urbanisation, decentralisation etc were all very straightforward, I particularly enjoyed the examination of models or urban growth. I found it interesting how there are so many but can only be applied to the context they were made up in.  

Now to the physical geography first off, I have to get this off my chest. The carbon cycle, great. The hydrologic cycle though in no doubt important it was painfully boring. I have no reason why, just the movement of water is not my thing. The carbon cycle I have particular interest in as I am passionate about stopping human induced climate change. I specify human induced as it is natural for the earths climate regulate itself, warming and cooling over the years. However, by humans interfering with this by burning fossil fuels an imbalance of carbon is occurring where the atmosphere is being overwhelmed with carbon that should remain in the lithosphere as part of the slow carbon cycle - I digress. Our understanding of the carbon cycle is vital to us reducing the effects of climate change whilst we still can. I have taken part in a youth climate assembly with Ellie Chowns and I have added the report we wrote up somewhere on my blog.

If you are considering geography A-level, as you should I recommend extra reading. I love reading, only if it's not fiction I literally would rather watch paint dry. Its boring and serves no purpose. To make the lessons easier I read and printed off countless articles and reports as well as reading so many books. Its satisfying the read what you have learnt about and understand it with theory knowledge behind it. 
My top recommendations are:
Books - 
  • The Writing on the Wall: China and the West in the 21st Century
  • Governing the world, The history of an idea
  • Prisoners of geography
  • A flag worth dying for
  • How to read water
  • Rise to Globalism
  • Natural hazards in a globalised world
  • Edgelands 
  • The collapse of globalism
I also watched countless documentaries, I have to say its my favourite pass time finding geography based TV shows. I found a helpful twitter page @lenziegeo who posts 'geoggle box'  every week which I most certainly looked forward to.
  • Our coast (BBC 2)
  • How earth made us (BBC 2)
  • Worlds worst natural disasters (Nat Geo)
  • Australia on fire: Climate emergency (Channel 4)
  • Volcanoes (Smithsonian)
  • Earths tropical islands (BBC 2)
  • Earths great rivers (BBC 2)
  • Great American/Asian/British railroad journeys (BBC 2) If i'm honest i just love Portillo that much that I just had to include him.
  • Anything with Simon Reeve.
There are countless shows and the list goes on but those are my top almost 10.

Netflix also has documentaries in abundance:

  • American factory I found this one on FDIs (foreign direct investment) very informative and I really enjoyed watching it.
  • Decoding the weather machine 
  • Explained (pandemic, the stock market, the racial wealth gap)
  • Inside Bill's brain (mainly part 1 and 3) Touches upon waste management and sanitation in LICs
  • Into the inferno as you can guess from the name, this one is about volcanoes.
Podcasts/ radio shows are also beneficial. My top advice especially for the globalisation topic is to keep on top of the news always be listening out for potential case study material. In the meantime, download the BBC sounds app, its brilliant. My top two stations are radio 4 and radio 4 extra.I have found some excellent shows on the app:
  • Science in action has a wide range of shows those include the case of the Krakatoa volcano, climate change and south east Asia. Basically, current natural disasters analysed. Its one of the top shows  I listen too.
  • I also listened to radio broadcasts on palm oil: costing the Earth and BBC inside science: whats the problem with palm oil and should we be supporting sustainably grown oil?
  • Global Wildlife (BBC Sounds, World service) A personal favourite of mine, a lost is said on Antarctica and whales
Another top-tip I have is printing off sources i.e graphs diagrams and maps relevant to the topics and practice annotating them for practice for the 6 marker questions. It may feel like a chore - though I do it for fun as I do love a good graph - its very beneficial. I have made powerpoints 30 slides long with things I can annotate.

Geography A-level really broadens your understanding of the world, unlike most subjects it is completely relevant to current events as you literally learn about the planet you live on, which blows my mind. We are able the study the planet that is so much bigger and complex than you and me, so much so the size and processes are incomprehensible. The idea that not everyone actually understands or even has an idea of the processes going on around them is such as weird concept for me to understand. Geography A-level has certainly shown me that there is more than that reaches the eye. 

I do have one major criticism of the A-level, the exam itself is a test of stamina rather than knowledge. This is a real shame, and real let down as it does take away most of the fun from the subject. AQA fails completely in the area of the course and I do hope in the future that this is reviewed.

Fieldwork
Cley Marshes nature reserve
The fieldwork, caused a great amount of stress particularly in the initial stages of coming up with the study and the later stages of the write up. I conducted my fieldwork in Norfolk and I fell in love with the place. Norfolk has never really interested me, I mean its Norfolk, why would it? I go to North Wales every year the complete opposite side of the country, its somewhere that has never been on my agenda to go there but I'm so glad I did. It's a brilliant place, excellent history, geographical features and the most importantly great nature and bird reserves. My personal recommendations are Cley nature reserve and Welney wetland centre. Also my laptop background currently is the magnificent Hunstanton Cliffs. How could you not be in awe of the colours? 

Fun fact, I found out I have family living in Hunstanton about a week before like how weird??? 

Upon deciding what you want to find out when doing your fieldwork , I recommend that you choose something that you are actually interested in. I presume if you pick geography you would be interested in all of it,  but we all have our preferences in the subject. I chose to study sand dunes. It was either that or salt marshes but I didn't fancy being threatened by the incoming tide. I wasn't so interested in the succession but how us as humans have affected them and I really did enjoy it. Part of the conservationist in me was buzzing with ideas. 
Young Jackdaws

The experience of the fieldwork really made it. I went when I was in a particularly bad stage in terms of my mental health and I struggled a lot. I question how I spent hours on a windy beach doing fieldwork on the amount I had eaten without collapsing. (Shout out to my geography teacher and friends for putting up with me crying an awful lot, I really did appreciate it ) Upon reflection, I would change that because all I could focus on was food and exercise and I felt so isolated whilst the rest of my class went to go eat together, I stayed in the hostel pacing over the thought of forcing myself just to eating a carrot. It was a struggle to stop myself from giving up and not having anything at all, in the meantime the bare minimum would do.  

However, I had the most wonderful experience and that is mostly down to the class and teachers. I made so many happy and funny memories that I will never forget. Playing cards against humanity with your geography teachers isn't probably a wise idea though, it didn't last long with them in the room. Interestingly, perhaps one of the best parts was the coach journey there where my geography teacher had the great pleasure of sharing where prince Philip crashed, why you shouldn't ask how people in Norfolk are related alongside actual geographical information about sea level in relation to Norfolk which was very interesting. I listened to Morrissey, the Smiths and the Jam on repeat there and back so whenever I listen to them now I end up thinking about that time. 'Every day is like sunday’ by Morrissey stands out, mostly because we went to a ‘coastal town’.

 The bird watcher in me was also very happy as I woke up everyday at 5am to listen to the cuckoo bird which was just wonderful. I had the top bunk with the skylight window of the hostel, so I was able to look out and to my advantage have control of whether the window was open or closed. I took a few pictures of the birds I went out quite early in the morning, well snuck out (sorry Mr Griggs/Ford) and took time for myself as being an introvert and being surrounded by people 24/7 is quite tiring, I must admit and no offence I'd much rather spend my time around wildlife. 

Whist we were on the beach - we went to so many I cannot remember which one. Me and my friend in the eroded part of the cliffs decided to do 'MTV welcome to my crib' and it was hilarious. I have photos where I am just perched in the cliff looking so happy with myself. I have so many funny memories from that trip. 
Geography A-level is worth taking for the fieldwork alone, the experience is just fantastic. However, this would be dependent on what your school/college offer.





Oyster catcher
Perhaps, the worst part of the whole trip was a two+ hour walk to Wells sand dunes to take a picture. I cant remember how long it exactly took because it was rather traumatising  I was first of all exhausted I had ate nothing all day (i'm dumb, I know) I set off about 3;30pm and returned for about nearly 7pm. On the way back I remember running my vision was blurry, I was physically retching from exhaustion, having to stop throwing up. I was basically on the verge of collapsing all to assess whether the sand dunes were worth studying. Turns out they were not. 
Well Beach, A vast empty nothingness.
Felt like you were walking and getting
nowhere

Conducting the fieldwork itself, I was really in my element I had a team working with me to get data and I was not bossy, I would like to mention I just knew what had to get done and we had to do it within time limits. It was so much fun and it really made me think of what I want to do in the future as a career. The fieldwork is a good indicator of whether you want to peruse a geography/environmental related career.


Being able to assist classmates in their fieldwork too was a good experience. It built upon teamwork skills and it was interesting o see what others had chosen to investigate.

The write up of the fieldwork, I initially enjoyed myself and for everyone else I was annoyingly enthusiastic for the rest of the people in my class. However, my enthusiasm dwindled after a while. I recommend that you do the write up as soon as possible as you soon find yourself running out of time. In December 2019 I had to hand it in
and I kid you not I spent days doing nothing else but fieldwork for a week. For various reasons my geography teacher was annoyed, I was annoyed and it was overall a very tense time. I just about completed it and I cannot say I has happy with the final write up, I knew I could do so much better but that was entirely my fault for doing it last minute. 

Overall, I really enjoyed geography A-level and I could not see myself doing any different. I haven't quite completed the course but I was so eager to write this I literally couldn't wait. Not to sound cheesy but I truly believe that it was my teachers who really inspired me. Their enthusiasm pulled me along even when I didn't think I could do it. A lot of the time I didn't and still don't think i'm cut out for it, not smart enough and doubt myself an awful lot. Comparison is my Achilles heal and whatever I do I feel like it's never enough. Though awfully passionate about the subject, I often doubt my ability. I suppose that's the perfectionist in me - I digress. My point is, geography A-level was so much fun and it really established my love for the subject so much so I want to turn my passion into a career. My teachers are really the best of the best, I cannot thank them enough for making the past two years of my life studying geography amazing and I want them to know how much they have made an impact on my life. 

Its been difficult and I still do not appreciate the 20 marker homeworks, but I know they are set with good intention. 

To the best department,
You are the swash to my backwash :)


Comments