The Stigma of Bird Watching


Hi, future Hannah here, after reviewing this post I have got it wrong, well not entirely. I still stand by the stereo-type however they classification system of 'dude' bird watcher, birder and twitcher is more complex than I put out. I suppose twitcher is the most 'hardcore' out of all but where someone is on the scale is not indefinite. Some days when Im out I gravitate towards a twitcher attitude. Though I call myself  a birder, (Im not that casual to be a bird watcher) there are some birds I will go to great lengths to see. So, I guess I was naive to say anything.    


After reading 'bonkers birding' by John Lee I felt inspired to write about the stigma associated with bird-watching.

The general public and by that I mean those who do not take pleasure in seeing a nuthatch, tree creeper or woodpecker, those often stereotype all birders as twitchers from what is depicted through media. They automatically assume birders as those who are driven mad by lists,boring nerds that wear high-waisted trousers, loners, binoculars around their neck and being able to recite Latin names of birds by heart. You could even go as far as outcasts in society. 

I want to change this. 

Whenever I discuss my interests I find it difficult to navigate around the fact that I do enjoy bird-watching. I want to clarify however, I am not a twitcher. A twictcher is one who is fixated on a list of birds they want to see, photograph, tick a box and in some essence 'got to catch them all'. In-fact I enjoy the outdoors, the familiarity of common species and if I see something rare all the better.  

On the front of things, I seem fairly normal - though I wouldn't class myself as a typical teenager. I read a lot of non-fiction (usually geography related), watch Portillo, Countryfile, Coast. I listen to BBC radio 4, Im a member of the conservative party and I enjoy bird watching.I am a demographic not associated with any of those. I guess you can say this makes me an interesting person, or somewhat boring maybe? I guess that's for you to decide.

Therefore, whenever I mention that I am keen birdwatcher I can see people are taken a-back. It's plainly obvious that they have an image that something is wrong with me, bizarre and out there. Suddenly, I am not human but simply someone who is refined to a bird watching stereotype. I then have to steer he conversation.It goes either one of two ways. Me trying to convince them bird watching is not as 'nerdy' as it comes across or I tip-toe around the subject, brush past it so that as little damage is done as possible to self esteem. (not to say much is there in the first place) When my passion for bird watching comes up in any conversation, its almost an embarrassment. Embarrassing because I know generally what response I will receive. Its taboo if you must, an outsider bird watcher perspective not being able to grasp the concept, the fascination, the excitement of being able to correctly identify a birds call or physique. 

As a 17 year old, I am proof that bird watching is not just for the retired or nerdy but is for everyone. As long as you are respectful of their environment and are not in it to get a stressful tick in a log book, bird watching is for everyone. Its just another way to appreciate nature in your life.



Comments