Birding during lockdown 3.0

Something about the informality of blogs scare me and I haven't wrote a post for quite some time now however, I thought I would write a quick one about how I have been dealing with lockdown 3.0.

If you are anything like me you are probably sick of hearing the term mindfulness thrown about so I replaced it with birding. Birding for me is some form of mindfulness as I am taking the time to fully observe what is around me. Recently, I have been doing quite a fair amount of birding in and around farmland areas instead of my usual patch (as I am at uni) where I would be birding around wetlands. Therefore, I am quite appreciating the different variety of birds I am seeing. 

Most commonly, I see daily fieldfares, Redwings, Linnets, Buzzards and if I am lucky an occasional Kestrel. 

The feeling of being able to spot and identify a bird especially if its one that you have only seen in guides is incredibly rewarding.

If you are looking for a sign to start a new hobby - here it is! January is a fantastic time to start birding especially if your knowledge is limited. Unlike the Spring bird song is limited and due to lack of foliage its easier to identify birds. Its also a brilliant stress reliever and form of mindfulness - unless you end up on a hunt for a rarity which from experience is quite intense. So, during this lockdown get to know your birds, start of in you're own garden or greenspace near where you live. 

Check out the Big Garden Bird watch from the 29th -31st January for all ages! 

Big Garden Birdwatch | Join the fun - The RSPB 




Comments